Friday, August 14, 2009

Alone

Tomorrow morning I'm driving to Atlanta all by myself. I'm spending one night in a hotel all by myself. At first, that prospect was at best, boring. I wasn't really thinking about the trip at all. I had already made plans for when I get back. And then last night Dawn said, "Is there anything about your trip that you're excited about?" I quickly answered No.

But then I said, "Well, yes, I'm excited about my new book on CD."

And then perfect Dawn goes on to list things I could do in Atlanta before I come home. The one that really piqued my interest was a severely over-priced Heineken enjoyed in front of the whale sharks at the Aquarium. I said, "I can't go to the Aquarium by myself." She asked why not. I didn't have an answer that made any sense.

I have forgotten how to be alone. And what's more, I feel guilty about needing time alone. I know that They with a capital T say that everyone, especially stay-at-home mothers, needs time away. It just doesn't seem feasible or fair. And now that the time is all but forced on me, I have no idea what to do with myself.

Is this how women get to be so boring? By taking no time for themselves? When asked if I'm aware of a current issue or a movie or popular singer I very often reply, "If it doesn't happen on Dora, I don't know about it." It's a joke, but one that today is striking me as rather pathetic.

So, sweet ladies, here's the question - What should I do with my very short time in Atlanta?

.

8 comments:

  1. I lived in Atlanta for a few years at the end of the 90s and loved it. I still miss it. All I can really suggest is that you go wander through East Atlanta, have a slice of pizza at Grant Central East, maybe see the gayest gay bar evah! (It's called Mary's for goodness sakes.) Have a beer at the Gravity Pub. Just enjoy being in a city and fancy free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the answer to that is obvious- whatever you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. get a pedicure!
    enjoy your book on cd.
    listen to the silence.
    daydream about san diego.

    take deep breaths and enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Centennial Park or Piedmont Park
    The Underground
    The Zoo
    World of Coco-Cola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't suggest what to do, but I can suggest what NOT to do: Don't sit around wondering what you could be doing because you don't know how to be alone. Soon enough, your alone time will be over and you'll be thinking, "What? But there was so much I could have done!"

    Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the Underground, it's pretty cool. World of Coke is nearby it too. Enjoy and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree enjoy the beer and the aquarium, then take time and just enjoy people watching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. enjoy your time alone, the peace and quiet and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the aquarium or anything else on your own.

    ReplyDelete