Sunday, August 2, 2009

Truth, Truth and Nothing But

Here it is. I have to go to Jackson, Mississippi (F*#k!) armed only with a Power of Attorney. I have to take control of my mother's finances, put her house on the market, file her taxes, apply for a mortgage and somehow get her back in the car to bring her back to Florida. I'm doing this because she has just in the last few days revealed that she has been diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's. Again, F*#k!

Complication: I have to take William and Ray with me because Dawn has been called into work this week. Attorney, Accountant, Banker, Realtor with 2 toddlers in tow.

I sat down with Dawn to try and think of someone that could care for them for a few days.

Options: 1 set of Grandparents live right down the road in the next town. They're out of town until tonight and are somewhat infamous for their lackluster enthusiasm for extended visits from the boys. They're more the get them for the afternoon and bring them home sort. So, moving along.

Option 2: My dad and his wife and their 3 semi-adult children all live in Jackson. Perfect, right? Not so much. I'm pretty much totally estranged from them. (I'm gay. And I divorced a member of the service to be gay. Oh! And my new love interest has 2 brown children. AND as if all of that isn't scandalous enough, Dawn's ethnicity is also in question. You all know about those black folks that live in the frozen tundra of North Dakota, right?)

I finally just cracked up. Dawn said, "What is so funny?" I said, "You want to hear some real shit? Listen to this."

I reviewed for her the above options. We again came to the conclusion that both were no-gos. I said, "We are all but totally surrounded by blood relatives that should be jumping at the chance to have these boys for a few days, but instead I'm over here wondering how much it would cost to fly in Nanny Lesbo or Jude's R from clear across the country. That's messed up."

And that, my friends, is the truth.


.

12 comments:

  1. sure wish this happens. or that we all lived on refocksa lane. :) big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye aye aye. When it rains it pours, huh?
    Sorry about your mom. Alzheimer's sucks. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey. We have all seen the miserable one-parent towing children and trying to take care of business... My thoughts and hopes for good things are so with you.

    And sorry to hear about your mum. That too is familiar to me, and I wish I could say it gets easier... but hopefully things will sort themselves out. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Propane, I like "pretty girl." you can keep that up.

    Rocks, Pretty soonI'm going to get tired of wishing and I'mgoing to review a county register and go squat old-school style on an unclaimed piece of wilderness and dare you all not to come with your axes and plows. And your goat, of course.

    Michelle, I do seem to have wandered into a bleary stretch. I am not one to complain, usually, but DAMN!

    Laura Lee, we should talk. Hugs.

    Margo, call me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't respond to this last night because I was busy thinking of ways to help. Check your inbox and let me know what you think. Love you, and I'm sorry about Big D's diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hard. This is very hard. You can do it but Lord, don't you hate being the grown-up sometimes? Where are you parking your mama? Cause she is NOT living with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. Oh no. I am hoping for the best here and even that cannot be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geezzz this sucks all around. So sorry to hear about your Mom. That's one thing I have going for me with my Dad, he's basically healthy and at time's it's still not easy.

    Try to take just one day or even one step at a time Kiddo so you don't overwhelm yourself. We're here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IS she going to be staying with you? Because THAT is rough, my dear. I know about the Alzheimer's through experience, and I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone.

    That sucks about the boys. I would love to watch those little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww, b! i so wish i had extra moolah floating around. you know damn well i'd hop the next flight and come manage your babes while you're out winning daughter of the year award!
    big hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your amazing and can handle everything. We love you and we'll be here whenever you need us.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your mom! I hope everything works out for you guys. I know it is crazy but I am sure everything will work out for you guys.

    ReplyDelete